Adam and Brendan got together this week to watch Forever Knight and record a podcast. In the process of doing this Brendan became increasingly aware that he was coming down with some kind of malady. Instead of cancelling and putting of the show until such a time as he could assemble words into cogent sentences, he instead decided to “power through.” These are the tapes. Listen and judge for yourself.
Music by Our Lady of Shadows, Rollins Band, Fred Molin, and Knife Party
Brendan and Adam finally reveal to the world the origin of their fixation on bad leather jackets and sunglasses after dark. We have more new shit on the World of Darkness here! Brendan and Adam discuss their take on the World of Darkness as a multimedia experience and they add a NEW FEATURE! That’s right kids, now once per episode your least favorite fang-banging, darkstalking daywalkers will be reviewing (in order) episodes from the seminal Vampire/Detective serial: FOREVER KNIGHT! I know you guys can’t wait, we sure couldn’t. Anyway, there are lots of spoilers so don’t be bashful, this shit has been off the air for over 20 years. I’d say get over it, but we sure haven’t! Listen on neonate swine!
As a thought exercise, I thought it might be fun/harrowing to take a stab at how much money I’ve thrown down the bottomless, money hungry pit of the gaming industry. I need to break it out by type for any real accounting:
Board Games – I fancied myself a board gamer for a good while. I was regularly dropping $50-100 on the things. I still have probably twenty or so I’ve never even played. I told myself I could play them with the kids when they get older, but if I’m being honest that will never happen. I’m a compulsive hoarder. Rough guess? $2500 dropped here.
- Magic the Gathering – Like everyone else in the nineties I got sucked into the vortex that is Magic. It was like heroin. It was worse than heroin. At least heroin has the decency to be the sort of thing you lie to people about. I told people I played Magic. Hell, I was kind of proud of it. Honestly, I probably would have ended up sucking just as much dick if I had known that was an option. $2500 easily. The only thing that kept me from spending more was being a broke ass high school student. Luckily I punched out at the right time and recouped some of my losses. Hahahahahaha just kidding. I sold my cards for next to nothing and counted myself luckily to get out without sucking a dick.
- Vampire: The Eternal Struggle – When I wasn’t wasting time on Magic, it was Jyhad/Eternal Struggle. II was more practical here, buying complete boxes on ebay instead of feeding my addiction a booster at a time. I’ll call it $1000, though I think it was higher.
- Rage – Yes, I played Rage. Both versions. Shut up. I got into Rage when it was cheap. I could get boxes for under $50. Consequently I bought a lot of them, because it was a such a deal! I’ll say another $500 here.
Dice and Junk – Everyone needs peripherals. $500.
- Dungeons & Dragons – Look, I don’t even know. $1000? More? It feel like more. I compulsively collected 3, 3.5, and 4. I’m starting 5th edition because I can’t control myself. Don’t cry for me. I know I’m already lost.
- Star Wars – $500 or so. Fortunately Star Wars was never super popular. I got most of the books at a discount thanks to Amazon, and the Saga Edition was no where near as comprehensive with books as it could have been. I have thus far managed to avoid the latest iteration with multiple core books. Hooray for small victories.
- Classic World of Darkness – I don’t want to talk about. I don’t. Whatever it all cost, it was worth it. I have dozens of these books, and this is after getting rid of a bunch of them. $2000? $3000? I don’t care. I’d do it again. I’ll probably re buy some of the books I no longer have. I’ll get the 20th anniversary editions. I’ll suck a dick. I’ll suck twenty. Fifty. Line them up. It doesn’t matter.
- Chronicle of Darkness – I mostly stuck with CoD, Requiem, and Changeling here. It was still a lot of books. And now the second editions are coming it. I’ll call it $1500 and be done with it.
- Misc (Shadowrun, Cyperpunk, Eclipse Phase, CthulhuTech, one offs) – Lets say $750.
- Warhammer Fantasy – I managed to limit myself to one army in this game. One big, expensive army. The core box alone with a couple hundred, Factor in multiple editions. $750 conservatively.
- Warhammer 40,000 – Look, I did things. Things I’m not proud of. Things I don’t want to talk about. $2500, even though I know that is a lie. A damn lie. Because the truth is too hard to fathom. Games Workshop pimped my ass with this game, and at the time I loved it. I couldn’t get enough. I look back with shame. Yet I know the only thing that stopped me was not having enough time for it anymore.
- Warmachine – For a while I thought Warmachine was the antidote to the Games Workshop poison. Oh ho, how naive. It is a different flavored fruit from the same twisted vine. I spent $1000 on my Menoth army, and I never really got around to playing it.
- Misc (Anima, Starship Troopers, Reaper minis) – $500 probably. I don’t know. I still have most of these. Somewhere.
- Paints – $500. Modeling paint is damn expensive. I swear they make it from mermaid blood or something.
- Brushes – During my forays into miniature painting, I decided what was holding me back was brushes. Namely that I was using overpriced Games Workshop brushes, and not ludicrously expensive sable hair brushes with fucking unicorn horn handles or whatever bullshit they claimed. I dropped some cash on brushes and brush holders and brush conditioner and yak semen to give them sheen. My painting still sucks. Go figure. $1000.
If I’m being realistic it is probably close to $20,000. The price of a car. Not even a shitty a car. A decent car. The kind where the AC works and it doesn’t make that weird noise when you hit 60 miles per hour. A legit car.
I really shouldn’t have done this.
Brand new Episode of The Shadowsworn Radio Hour is up. Grab it quick and shove it in your earholes. Adam and Brendan are almost out in front of something for once and they tear apart the Onyx Path 2016-2017 catalog so that you won’t have too.
That’s right bitches, Brendan and Adam are going to make you privy to all the inside shit that they print about on the internet where anyone can see it. AND IF THAT’S NOT ENOUGH: They are also going to dazzle you with their supah-fresh “takes.” Fuck yes. Sounds so sweet.
Anyway, take a listen and get at us with your Black-Hearted feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spill our tears, we love that shit.
TASTE THE RAINBOW MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRSSSS!!!
Intro: “Ring of Keys” by Our Lady of Shadows aka Vampire Cop aka Brendan Motherfucking Carrion
Bumper: “The Bog” by Bigod 20
Outro: “Like A Prayer” by Motherfucking Madonna for (Black) Christ’s Sake covered by Bigod 20.
Get with it you filthy cretins.
The ShadowSworn crew gather under cover of darkness to discuss the dark history of our world and how it can be mined to enhance your game.
In which Brendan and Ben are joined by none other than Josh of the Wrecking Crew and their podcast, Podcast: the Wreckening. The three talk about the difference between rules light and rules heavy as opposed to crunchy vs. not crunchy.
Get with our homies at the internationally renown Wrecking Crew here:
In which Ben and Brendan are joined once more by the Warlord Amanda and they make the art contained within roleplaying books their entire subject. Many digressions and Brendan probably talks more than he should.
Here’s some art by that dumb fuck Brendan Carrion (aka Vampire Cop):
Born to Kill
In which The Shadowsworn Radio Hour gives up the independence of it’s own unique feed and becomes a member of the Full Metal RPG family in good standing. Lots of banter between Shadowsworn Adam and Brendan. We really see the different ways that they run games coming to the fore.
In which Brendan and Adam compare notes on the choicest cuts from the Chronicles of Darkness line. Any of these books is worth your time and money. All are Shadowsworn approved! They should, in fact, reprint them with that badge on the cover.
Chosen of Caine! Brothers and sisters! Witness us as we delve into the secrets of the Black Hand! We shall draw back the curtain on these madmen who hide in plain sight. Hear our dire warnings!